Date: 16-20 January 2012
Article: 'Research into practice: Vocabulary', by Paul Nation
Guest moderator: Anthony Bruton, Universidad de Sevilla, Spain.
Location: ReSIG YahooGroup
Download article here.
This event is open both to ReSIG members and to non-members.
You can join our YahooGroup for free here.
- Join our YahooGroup at the link above. if you're not a member yet.
- Download the article at the link above.
- Read the article.
- To help you get ready for the discussion, here are a few prompts for discussion, suggested by Anthony:
1. What do you consider are the priorities for research into formal EFL vocabulary learning? And ESL?
2. Do you think Extensive Reading is a viable means of vocabulary expansion in typical FL contexts? Would on-line exposure and task be more accessible and as effective?
3. Do you think some tasks used in EFL vocabulary research are inappropriate: e.g. fill in the blanks; multiple-choice; write sentences with these words; etc.
4. Do you think levels tests should not only be language-specific, but context-specific (e.g. according to country).
5. Did you know about the involvement load hypothesis? If so, is it of any particular pedagogical consequence?
- During the week of 16-20 January, make sure you check the posts on the YahooGroup at least once a day and add your contributions.